Thursday, May 20, 2010

Just when I thought life was easy...

My sweet baby has had two very exciting days in a row this week! Yesterday, we ventured to the local DPS at 7:15 AM so that he could take his driving test and get his drivers license. For the past couple of months I've been telling myself that I couldn't wait for this moment. My days of being the chauffeur and staying up late to pick him up were over. In reality, I'm sick to my stomach!

The trip to the DPS was relatively uneventful, except for the fact that we arrived at 7:15 AM and didn't leave until 10:00 AM! Seriously, why would they just have O.N.E. trooper that gives driving tests? The day before Hubby took him after school and after waiting an hour in line they were told (AFTER they did the paperwork AND paid the money) that the don't give driving tests after 3:00 PM. I'm pretty sure that most 16 year old kids don't get out of school that early, but okay?

He thankfully passed on his first try (I had some serious doubts about this) and acted like a toddler in a candy store. I am proud to say that he actually hugged me right there in the middle of the DPS and didn't care who saw. I however was near the vomiting stage from the stress and told him to go get in line and get it over with. He insisted that I stand there with him and although I wanted to run outside and secretly shed tears, I was the dutiful mother and listened to his giddiness. At one point, he even put his arm around me and laid his head on my shoulder and thanked me for being his Mom - ahhh...

He wasn't exactly thrilled when we walked to the car and I told him to give me the keys because I was driving... but he was already 2 hours late for school and we needed to book it. He asked if I was going to go to the house so I could get my car and he could drive to school to which I replied, "Not today Son." Surprisingly he took that very well.

He had to work yesterday at 4:30 and after a long conversation with his father, we decided to let him drive. Hubby pointed out that it was less than two miles straight down the road and I had to relent. That 10 minutes between the time he called me telling me he was leaving and the time he arrived at his destination were the longest 10 minutes of my life! My anxiety level was so high that I actually gave myself a migraine! But alas, he arrived alive and made it back home safely again.

Today he had to go to work yet again and I unfortunately was stuck in a meeting when he called to tell me he was leaving. I have trained him well however because I was greeted by two voice mails when I got back to my office. Both exactly 10 minutes apart, he had left and he had arrived. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that he stays this good!

Upon arriving home a few minutes ago he was once again giddy and jumping with excitement. He had received his very FIRST paycheck! A whopping $14.78 and you would have thought he was a millionaire!

Last week we he accompanied me to the bank he asked if he could get a bank account when he started getting paid. I told him absolutely, we would set up two accounts because he needed a savings account (little does he know he already has one of those) and told him that he had to save 25-50% of each paycheck and the rest would be his spending money. He asked me how much I put into savings each week and I did what all good mother's do, I lied and told him that I did 25%. He agreed this was a great plan. Ahhh...

So as he was jumping around waving his paycheck around I asked him how much of that $14.78 would be going into savings? His response, "Uh, $7.00?" I thank God everyday that he is a sweet and good looking child, because a math wiz he is not...

To my sweet baby, C1, although it's killing me that you are growing up I am thankful for every single day I get to spend with you. I love you, you are the sweetest boy E.V.E.R!





6 comments:

Becca said...

Congrats! You raised great kids! Now what does this do to your car insurance rates?

Hugs and here is the wine!

Unknown said...

I thought that was C3.. am I just nuts?? (not out of the realm of possibility at all) Anyway, Congrats!! He's a good kid, I can't believe the third one makes you as nervous as the first must have!!LOL Becca's right.. what does this do to your insurance?LOL

Kat said...

Thank you guys, and just so you know the insurance - OUCH!

Tracie said...

Very exciting day(s)!! I am mostely enjoying Tink being able to drive now exceot for the extra insurance, and when she thinks she can just drive out of town or on gravel. haha tell him congratulations and be careful! It's not his driving we worry about it's everyone elses!

Anonymous said...

i don't give a shit right now because YOU ARE COMING TO VISIT ME!!!!! ok not ME per se but you know what I mean-

ok in all seriousness- so ALL of your sons drive now??? what is that called? middle age? 3/4 age? what??

holy crap I AM NOT looking forward to that.

Gully Girl said...

Oh, how excited is he!?!? I absolutely love it! :)