Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Things not to be bitter about…

So I flew to Houston this morning to be with my friend Tammy for her visit at MD Anderson.  As always happens when I travel alone I find such fun and adventure… Not.

So lucky me first thing this morning going through security and I get chosen to be one of the elite that gets to enjoy the pleasure of THE FULL BODY SCAN…  I actually feel sorry for those people that got to see my x-rayed naked body, hope they hadn’t eaten recently because I’m pretty sure the were dry-heaving after that… Actually gave me quite the perverted pleasure thinking about them all lining up at the toilets…

I did get my coveted aisle seat, which is a necessity when you a) have extremely long legs that make it almost impossible to sit on an airplane and b) are a severe claustrophobic and don’t like being in an enclosed space with people touching you or breathing on you…

However my coveted spot did have it’s downside, as it always does, because it seems I am a magnet for either a) deaf mothers with uncontrollable screaming children or b) smelly men.  Hooray for me the smelly men won out this go round.  It appears the five gentlemen sitting in the seats directly in front of me had a little contest this morning to see who could wear the most of the strongest, most disgusting smelling cologne.  I was so praying for that oxygen mask to drop from the sky…

But better yet, little dude next to me that probably only weighed 80 pounds soaking wet, could never be weighed soaking wet because I don’t believe he has ever let water or soap touch his rancid smelling body...  Go me!

I do believe airlines should go back to the good ole’ chauvinistic days of flight attendants being cute, little sexy things and re-institute a weight limit for them.  Yes, I actually said that.  Why, you ask?  Because if the extremely large, male flight attendant’s ass hit me in the face once, it hit me about 2 dozen times as he walked past me in my coveted seat…  Nice.

Of course this sounds like another blog about things to be bitter about, but it’s not I assure you.  Why?  Because the sole purpose of coming to Houston was to be with my friend and possibly share in her disappointment, has turned in to a rather Grande day for me (and her of course)!

After enduring my enjoyable travel experience, we won’t even go into the rental car fiasco, and then waiting hours upon hours for her while she was in her doctor’s appointment, we learned that there is an experimental drug that she can be placed on that has had a high success rate of reducing or stabilizing the growth of the kind of cancer she has.  Can I get a “THANK YOU SWEET JESUS”?

Yes, after months and months of every kind of torture possible she will begin taking this new drug tomorrow and must be back in Fort Worth at 9:00 am to have her base Cat Scan and begin the treatments.  It’s not necessarily a cure, but there have been people that have been on this drug for up to 10 years and done remarkably well in stabilizing the growth of the cancer.

I am beyond ecstatic and full of joy and now I get to sit here in Houston this evening all alone because they are rushing back to Fort Worth to start our new plan tomorrow.  But I’d rather sit here alone being happy than holding her hand and crying our eyes out.  Looks like I will have a long day tomorrow doing nothing waiting for the business dinner I have scheduled at 7:00.

But I’m not bitter, not one little bit!

 

4 comments:

Becca said...

I am so glad that she got a new medicine to try. I am sending all the positive vibes I can for her, and hope that this works! And you, dear woman, relax, have a glass, or two of wine, and know that tomorrow is a brand new day!

Tracie said...

Here's to the new medicine working for her!!

Go shopping or something!

MyFrogs said...

THANK YOU SWEET JESUS!

Gully Girl said...

That's great news!!!

I remember way back when my dad was sick, he almost went to Texas for a clinical trial but decided to live out his days with me at home going the conventional route. How great it would have been if I were old enough to offer an opinion--I would have gladly homeschooled in texas for a few months and just think, he could possibly still be here today! It wasn't meant to be for us, but I think it is for your friend! Love you.